Junior Joins The Business
When C G Lang started in the business in 1927, he was given a brown sample bag and told by his father, "out you go junior. Take this bag and get selling!". The market was primarily grocer's shops but goods were also supplied to boarding houses and hotels. In addition to the cheese, CJ Lang also had the sole agreement to sell "Middlemass" biscuits, which proved very popular, and as the years went on, more and more solus arrangements were arranged. In recognition of the work he was doing, the name of the Company was changed in 1934 from "CJ Lang" to "CJ Lang and Son Limited."
Business prospered and new premises were sought in Dundee for expansion. The first site was the old Fairweathers Tobacco Factory behind the King's Theatre. In 1948, the Company purchased much more spacious premises between Sugar House Wynd and St. Andrews Street Lane. Later on, CJ Lang took over Hugh F.Black and Sons of Ward Road in Dundee, a local provisions company and this enabled the first Cash and Carry premises to be developed in 1960 in Ward Road. This Cash and Carry operation was to be called "Martex" a name originated by Graeme Lang, young Charles' son.